I first got involved with GPPNA about a year after I moved to the neighborhood. We had a lot of problems with trespassing, vandalism, and burglary. My porch lights were stolen right off the side of my house while I was sitting in the living room! But it really hit home when I stepped into my dark house one night and felt the crunch of broken glass underneath my feet. Sometime that day, while I was out at a family reunion, someone had broken the single-pane glass in my kitchen door and reached in to unlock the bolt. They then helped themselves to all of our computers and my wedding jewelry. My anger turned into action, and I started volunteering for Park Place events and attending public safety meetings. The community liaison officer visited our house and gave us some pointers for securing it and I got to know the neighbors living right on my block and formed a block watch. It’s been my pleasure to serve as GPPNA’s president and pitch in wherever I can…organizing events to help neighbors get to know each other and making sure the police and Mayor’s office keep Park Place on their radar. That’s how we keep each other safe. Simple, easy actions like reporting concerns to 311 and 911 and knowing who belongs on your block.
Please consider running for the GPPNA board. We’re seeking new members for our board to begin a term in October 2014.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Attendance at monthly meetings (Second Monday of each month at 7pm)
- Leadership in organizing at least one of our 6 regular annual events
- Serve as a contact for residents of your block
- Occasional attendance at city-wide meetings
- Opportunity to work on existing projects or to launch new initiatives
- 2 year term
- Must be a voting member of GPPNA
- If elected, your presence would be needed at the Board’s Bi-annual planning retreat on October 4, 2014
Elections will be held on Thursday September 19, 2014at 7pm at the GPPNA Annual Meeting at Waverly Church. If you are interested in running, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact info and a 250 word bio, no later than September 1, 2014.